The Fear of Public Speaking

 

Public Speaking in FFA

If public speaking scares you, you're far from alone. Fear of public speaking, often called glossophobia, is one of the most common forms of anxiety. Surveys have consistently found that a significant portion of people experience anxiety about speaking in front of others, and even experienced speakers can still experience nervousness before going on stage.

Think about that. The person giving the speech who looks completely confident might have a racing heart just like you. The person holding the microphone without shaking might have been shaking five minutes earlier. The person who sounds incredibly comfortable might actually be nervous too. Confidence doesn't always mean the absence of fear. Sometimes, confidence is simply deciding that the fear isn't going to make the decision for you.

Why Does Our Body Do That?

One of the most interesting things about public-speaking nerves is that your body isn't actually trying to make you fail. It's trying to protect you.

When you become nervous, your brain can activate your body's fight-or-flight response. Your sympathetic nervous system kicks into gear, releasing stress hormones such as adrenaline. Your body essentially prepares itself for action. Your heart beats faster, your muscles tense, your breathing changes, your palms may sweat, and your mouth can become dry. Your hands can start shaking, too.

Your voice can shake for similar reasons. Anxiety can increase muscle tension and change the way you're breathing. Since speaking depends heavily on controlled breathing and the muscles involved in producing your voice, that extra tension can make your voice sound less steady.

Your brain doesn't necessarily know that you're standing in front of an audience. As far as your nervous system is concerned, something important is happening. So it prepares you. The problem is that there isn't actually anything to run from—except maybe the microphone.


This photo captures my scariest public speaking moment when I got to take the podcast to Good Day Sacramento to be broadcasted on live tv!

I've Learned That Nerves Aren't the Enemy

For a long time, I thought being nervous meant I wasn't prepared. If my hands shook, I thought I was doing something wrong. If my voice cracked, I thought everyone noticed. If my heart was racing, I thought I needed to calm down immediately.

But I've started looking at it differently. Being nervous doesn't necessarily mean you're unprepared. Sometimes, it means you care. You care about what you're saying. You care about the people listening. You care about doing well. Instead of trying to completely eliminate those feelings, I've learned to work with them.

I don't need to walk onto a stage feeling absolutely fearless. I just need to walk onto the stage.

Here's something I wish someone had told me earlier: you're going to mess up. 

You're going to forget a word. You're going to say something differently than you practiced. You're probably going to talk too fast at least once. Your voice might shake. Your hands might tremble. You might completely lose your train of thought.

And you know what? You learn to keep going.

Because a mistake doesn't ruin a speech. Stopping yourself because you're afraid of making a mistake does far more damage.

Most audiences aren't sitting there hoping you'll fail. Most people understand what it's like to stand in front of a room and feel nervous. And honestly, some of the most memorable speakers aren't memorable because they were perfect. They're memorable because they were real.

What I Do Before I Speak

When I know I have to speak, I try to prepare without overthinking. I make sure I understand what I'm talking about instead of trying to memorize every single word. I take a few deep breaths, move around, and remind myself why I'm speaking in the first place.

For me, that movement usually means dancing. For someone else, it might mean taking a walk, stretching, shaking out their hands, or listening to their favorite song. The important thing is finding a way to release some of that nervous energy instead of allowing it to take over.

I also try to focus less on myself and more on my message. Instead of thinking, Do I look nervous? Does my voice sound weird? What if I mess up? I think about what I actually want the audience to remember.

That shift makes a huge difference!

The Point Isn't to Become Fearless

I used to think becoming a good public speaker meant eventually getting rid of my nerves. I don't think that anymore. I think becoming a good speaker means learning how to stand in front of people even when your nerves are there.

Because courage isn't the absence of fear. Courage is deciding that something matters more than the fear.

So if you're sitting in a classroom right now, avoiding raising your hand because you're afraid of what people might think, raise it. If you're nervous about trying out for a speaking competition, try out. If you're terrified of getting on a stage, take the stage. And if your hands shake, let them shake. If your voice trembles, let it tremble. Take a breath, look up, and keep going.

Because someday, you'll realize something: the microphone was never the scary part. It was believing that you weren't ready to hold it.

And maybe, before your next speech, you should dance a little, too.


-Madison Pauley

The FFA Way



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About the Host: Who is Madison Pauley?